2020-2021 Cal Poly Dance Team Auditions
If you have a strong dance background and a passion for performing, teamwork, and promoting school spirit, then you are in the right place! The Cal Poly Dance Team performs at all Cal Poly Football and Basketball home games and travels to a few away games. We compete a routine at USA Nationals in Anaheim each year and placed 5th in March 2017! The team does not have a coach, but is led by two team captains.
We are looking for a group of dancers who have solid technique, are versatile, have strong performance ability, and dance well together as a team!
Auditions for the 2020-2021 season will be on
May 16th, 2020
CPDT COLLEGE PREP CLINICS
4/18/20 @ 6pm (Open House Weekend)
5/15/20 @ 5pm . (Night before auditions)
College Prep Clinic
Our college prep clinic is optional with a $25 fee, but highly recommended. Unlike auditions, this is the time when we can offer feedback and constructive criticism to help with technique and performance. We will go across the floor to watch and help improve technique, learn a few routines to practice all the styles we usually perform, and go over the process of audition day so dancers feel more prepared.
Come ready to dance with jazz shoes, tennis shoes, water, snacks, and the $25 clinic fee.
Day of Auditions
What to expect:
- Check-in/Overview of the team
- Warm up
- Technique in groups across the floor (right and left)
- Leg holds
- Leg turns (front and tilt)
- Turns (triple pirouette, fouettes, turn combinations)
- Leaps (front, side, back, switch, calypso, turning disk)
- Turns in second (approx. 2-3 eight-counts)
- Sideline routine
- Cheer routine
- Lunch break (bring food or $$ to buy on campus)
- Hip Hop routine
- Jazz routine
- Quick break
- Final audition/casual interviews
- Announcement of team
What to wear:
- "Game Day Ready" hair & make-up!
- Tight fitting and appropriate dance clothes, leggings, shorts, tank top, etc.
- Feel free to wear bralettes, sports bras, old dance costume tops, etc. if you're comfortable doing so
- Jazz shoes (tan or black)
- We perform with our hair down throughout the
season, so feel free to have your hair down and
styled (not mandatory- a ponytail/bun is fine too!)
What to bring:
- Jazz shoes
- Tennis Shoes
- Snacks, lunch, or $$ to buy food on campus
- Signed waiver or Guardian to sign waiver if under 18
(waiver can be found in pdf file below)
**Cuts will be made throughout the day
If using mobile site please look on a desktop to dowload the Audition Waiver
Video Audition (if unable to attend live audition)
Attending the live audition is highly recommended, but there is an option to send in a video audition if you cannot attend the live tryouts. You will need to email a video (a YouTube link is fine) to email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please include a completed audition application questionnaire in the same email (questionnaire can be found in pdf file below). Video auditions are due the Thursday before auditions. Your video NEEDS to include the following technique and performance requirements:
Technique: (show everything on both sides please!)
- Kicks and tilts (right and left)
- Leg holds
- Leg turns (front and tilt)
- Triple pirouettes or as many as you can do
- Turns in second, turn combinations of your choosing (approx. 2-3 eight counts)
*suggestions to include in turn combinations: switching spots, floats, varying arm placement, etc.
- Leaps (front, side, back, switch, calypso, turning disk, and any others you'd like to add)
- Any tricks that you would like to add (ex. aerials, head springs, front walkovers, etc.)
EMAIL for a video of the pom routine we'd like you to learn and record.
- We'd like to see 3 styles of dances: a jazz routine, a hip hop routine, and the pom routine that needs to be requested by email
- They need to be at least 6 eight count routines and can be previously recorded from practice, competitions, etc. However, they do need to be solos, duos, or trios so we can easily identify you. Or you can choreograph and perform your own dances!
We would also like to learn a little bit about you, so please add a brief introduction about yourself!