2021-2022 Cal Poly Dance Team Auditions
If you have a strong dance background and a passion for performing, teamwork, and promoting school spirit, then you are in the right place! The Cal Poly Dance Team performs at all Cal Poly Football and Basketball home games and travels to a few away games. We compete at USA Nationals in Anaheim each year in the D1 Jazz division!
We are looking for a group of dancers who have solid technique, are versatile, have strong performance ability, and dance well together as a team!
auditions Dates for the 2022-2023 Season are TBD !
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR AUDITIONS
Our prep clinic is optional with a $25 fee, but highly recommended. Unlike auditions, this is the time when we can offer feedback and constructive criticism to help with technique and performance. We will work on some technique and skills that we look for in addition to original routines in every style that we require to help participants get a better feel of our collegiate style. We will provide the scoring rubric used for auditions and go over audition tips provided by our veterans.
Participants must register to participate.
Registration closes and materials will be sent out April 16th! Videos of dancers performing the material must be sent in by the 23rd in order to receive feedback from the audition judges. Feedback will be sent out individually by the 26th.
Audition Timeline & Info
MAY 6th: Registration Closes
MAY 7th: Audition Materials Sent Out
MAY 14th: Audition Videos Due
MAY 19th & 20th: Virtual Interviews
DATE TBA: In-Person Final Round Audition
Check out the CPDT Information Packet below for more information:
Video Audition Information
After receiving the material for the video audition, you will need to learn the material and record a video of yourself performing it. Your video must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org via an unlisted YouTube link. Also, please include the completed audition packet in the same email.
Your video NEEDS to include the following:
- We'd like to know a little bit about you, so please include an intro!
Technique: (show everything on both sides)
- Kicks and tilts
- Leg holds
- Leg turns (front and tilt)
- Triple pirouettes and as many as you can do
- Turns in second *a turn combination will also be included in the audition material*
- Leaps (front, side, back, switch, calypso, turning disk, and any others you'd like to add)
- Any tricks that you would like to add (ex. aerials, head springs, front walkovers, etc.)
Jazz Routine (Provided)
Pom Routine (Provided)
Hip Hop Routine (Provided)
Contemporary Routine (Provided)
Solo of your chosen style
- Must be at least 6 eight-counts
- Can be previously recorded but must be a solo, duo, or trio so that we can easily identify you
What to wear for your video:
- "Game Day Ready" hair & make-up!
- Tight fitting and appropriate dance clothes, leggings, shorts, tank top, etc.
- Feel free to wear bralettes, sports bras, old dance costume tops, etc. if you're comfortable doing so
- Jazz shoes (tan or black) or tennis shoes for hip hop
- We perform with our hair down throughout the season, so feel free to have your hair down and styled (not mandatory- a ponytail/bun is fine too!)